Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What steps are involved in purchasing a house paying cash?

I am wanting to buy a friends house and pay cash for it. My friend still does owe on the mortgage. What process would there be in buying the house? An attorney isnt needed in Mississippi and would I even need to bother with a real estate agent? Would my friend just pay off the mortgage and have the deed signed over to me? Thanks for any help!

What steps are involved in purchasing a house paying cash?
DON'T do this! Please, my friend, forget realtors but DO hire atty to ensure title changes hands properly, that there are no outstanding insurance, escrow issues and so on. This is among the biggest transactions you'll ever make in your young life and it may haunt you beyond the grave if you don't do it right! Verily I say unto you, spend the money now on atty to represent you in the sale or risk spending a TON more later on. Seller can do as he pleases but BE REPRESENTED to ensure there is appropriate proof of the transaction.
Reply:It can be as easy as that, but I wouldn't recommend it. They may feel differently, but real estate agents bring value by matching up buyers and sellers. You don't need that.





At a minimum, I would engage a Title Company to facilitate the close, and to be safe have a title policy issued for the property. They will make sure that all existing liens are identified for your review, coordinate payoff of the existing debt, and guarantee you have clean ownership of the property.





If you aren't going to use an attorney, who's going to draft the deed?


No comments:

Post a Comment